Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Freedom vs Religion




RELIGION: I obey-therefore I’m accepted.

FREEDOM: I’m accepted-therefore I obey.


RELIGION: Motivation is based on fear and insecurity.

FREEDOM: Motivation is based on grateful joy.


RELIGION: I obey God in order to get things from God.

FREEDOM: I obey God because it pleases Him.


RELIGION: When 'stuff' happens, I get angry with God or myself, since I'm probably punished.

FREEDOM: When 'stuff' in my life goes wrong, I am at peace because I know God will never leave me or forsake me.


RELIGION: When I am criticized, it hurts my feeling because it is critical that I think of myself as a ‘good person’.

FREEDOM: When I am criticized, it still hurts, but it does not matter what others think. My identity is not built on my record or performance, but on God’s love for me in Christ. I can take criticism.


RELIGION: My prayer life consists largely of petition and it only heats up when I am in a time of need. My main purpose in prayer is control of the environment.

FREEDOM: My prayer life consists of generous stretches of praise and adoration. My main purpose is fellowship with Him.


RELIGION: My identity and self-worth are based on how hard I work or, how moral I am. Others who don't live up to my standards are lazy and immoral. Thank God I lead 4 study groups.

FREEDOM: My identity and self-worth are centered on the one who died for His enemies, who was excluded from the city for me. I am saved by sheer grace so I can’t look down on those who believe or practice something different from me. Only by grace I am what I am. I’ve no inner need to win arguments.



No comments:

Post a Comment