Wednesday, July 18, 2012

False Assumptions


"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died." John 11:21


Can you imagine being in this situation and confronting Jesus? All of us have probably confronted The Lord at one time or another but is it the right thing to do?

Martha was basing her feelings on a false assumption that led to questioning Jesus' motives. All of the thoughts that come into our minds are based on assumptions. Whether they be truthful or untruthful, everything we think or project towards others comes from a deeper well of what we actually think and believe.

These assumptions become the foundation of all of our thoughts and actions. For example, If my mother took my sister-in-law shopping and didn't invite me, I used to assume it was because she must not want to spend time with me and had more fun with her. Now, this wasn't true but it didn't stop me from wearing this insecurity like a comfy t-shirt, turning it into the assumption that I believed.

Most of us know how the story of Martha, Lazurus and Mary turned out. Jesus came in and showed the Glory of His Father. He didn't come when Martha thought He should but came when His Glory could be most revealed. If you're waiting on God right now, don't assume He's not showing up. The truth is, He's already there - and He will blow your mind with results if you let Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment