Thursday, July 19, 2012

Overcoming Obstacles



I'm sad to say that it's been a couple of weeks since I've written any devotionals. Life had completely taken over. Between work, family and all the little nuances my days seemed to hold, I had been overtaken by them. At the end of the day, it seemed I was even too tired to pick up a pen and record the days events. But, no more! God has given the gift and passion for writing and writing is what I must do. So, instead of being overtaken by the problems of this world, I Will overcome them through Jesus! 

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world" John 16:33 

You guys know how I love word play! :) The word 'tribulation' in this verse comes from the greek work, 'thlipsis' which means, 'pressure', 'crushing', or 'squeezing distress'. 

My best friend's daugher made rice krispie treats yesterday. As we all know, after you mix in all the butter and marshmallow goodness, you must then press it into a pan. When I say press, I mean press! There's nothing worse than rice krispie treats that fall apart when you try to cut them. 

To compress anything, or to put pressure on something is 'thlipsis'. It's like spiritual weight lifting. We will always have pressure in this life - crushing blows can and will appear around every corner - we are not immune. 

But, we have the power to be victorious and joyful during these times. Because Jesus has overcome this world means that we don't have to be overtaken by the pressures or adversities of this life. We can draw strength from Hin, knowing that He is there. He hears us when we call out to him and He comforts us with His tender Grace and Mercies. 

Memorize Psalm 34:17 

No comments:

Post a Comment